IMPORTANT UPDATE: The deadline for applications for the Australia Awards 2021 intake has been extended from 30 April 2020 to 30 June 2020.
Scholarship opportunities through the Australia Awards are available for successful Solomon Islanders to study in Australia.
Australia Awards scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders for development. Through study and research, recipients develop the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
Australia has a reputation for academic excellence and is one of the best places in the world to live while studying. Visit Study in Australia to learn more about the education opportunities Australia has to offer.
Applicants are assessed on their professional and personal qualities, academic competence and, most importantly, their potential to impact on development challenges in Solomon Islands.
In contrast to previous intakes, the 2021 intake will only offer scholarships for study in Australia. In order to maximise the number of scholarships offered for study in Australia, no Australia Awards scholarships will be offered for study in the Pacific region.
Applications are strongly encouraged from women, people with disability and other marginalised groups.
Applications are encouraged across a broad range of priority areas for the development of Solomon Islands:
• Health postgraduate only including: Health Informatics; Pharmacy; Mental Health; Epidemiology; Remote Medicine; Obstetrics; Midwifery; Paediatric Medicine/Nursing; Emergency Medicine/Nursing; Intensive Care Nursing; Public Health; and Health Policy and/or Administration
• Education postgraduate only including but not limited to: school leadership & management; TVET; and training for teachers
• Development studies including Gender Equality
• Environment including: Disaster Risk Reduction and Adaptation; Climate Change; Climate Finance/Economics; Conservation; Waste Management; Water Management; Environment and Resource Economics
• Economic Growth including: Economics; Supply Chain Management; Business Studies; Accounting; Information Technology; Tourism and Hospitality; Marketing and PR; and Art and History Curating
• Counselling & Social Work including child protection
• Infrastructure including: Engineering (including biomedical, civil, water, sanitation, electrical, maritime, biomedical, construction and mining); Surveying; Building andConstruction; Urban Planning; Architecture; and Landscape Design
• Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry and Veterinary Science
• Governance including: Statistics; Public Sector Reform; Public Financial Management; Procurement and Contract Management
Level of Study
Australia Awards scholarships provide citizens of Solomon Islands with the opportunity to obtain a qualification at an Australian tertiary institution.
Awards will be offered for commencement in 2021 (and, possibly, in early 2022) at the undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Australia Awards applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook, available at: dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Pages/australia-awards-scholarships-policy-handbook.aspx.
All applicants MUST read the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook and the Solomon Islands Australia Awards 2021 intake information dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Pages/solomon-islands-information-for-intake.aspx.
English Language Proficiency
Applicants must have achieved an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or higher (with no individual band score of less than 6.0) or an equivalent TOEFL or PTE score. Scores must be valid at 1 January 2021.
Commencement of study
All scholarships must be taken up in the year for which they are awarded. Should an awardee not be able to commence their study by November in the year of the award, the scholarship will be cancelled. Due to the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic, in the 2021 intake some flexibility may be available allowing scholars to commence in 2022.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, candidates from Solomon Islands must also note the following:
- Applicants with a Form 6 aggregate score higher than 11 may apply however they should be aware that it is very unlikely that they will be shortlisted for interview.
- Applicants with a GPA lower than 2.5 may apply however they should be aware that it is very unlikely that they will be shortlisted for interview.
- You may apply while you are completing Form 7 in 2020. However your Form 7 results must be submitted to the Australian High Commission as soon as you receive them.
- You may not apply if you are completing Form 6 in 2020.
Applications for the Solomon Islands Australia Awards 2021 intake are now open.
You can apply online at http://oasis.dfat.gov.au
If you are unable to complete an online application, you can download and print a hard copy of the application form [PDF], email [email protected] or collect a form from the Australian High Commission Guard House, corner of Hibiscus Avenue and Mud Alley in Honiara.
For more information on Australia Awards, please visit: www.australiaawards.gov.au
Online applications close at 11:59 pm 30 June 2020.
Hard copy applications must be submitted to the Australian High Commission (corner of Hibiscus Avenue and Mud Alley in Honiara) by 4:30 pm 30 June 2020.