Applications for the Australia Awards scholarships 2022 intake are now closed. Scholarships application for the 2023 intake will open in early 2022.
Scholarship opportunities through the Australia Awards are available for successful Solomon Islanders to study in Australia.
Australia Awards scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders for development. Through study and research, recipients develop the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
Australia has a reputation for academic excellence and is one of the best places in the world to live while studying. Visit Study in Australia to learn more about the education opportunities Australia has to offer.
Applicants are assessed on their professional and personal qualities, academic competence and, most importantly, their potential to contribute and have a positive impact on development challenges in Solomon Islands.
Applications are strongly encouraged from women, people with disability and other marginalised groups.
For more information on Australia Awards, please visit www.australiaawards.gov.au
Level of study
Australia Awards scholarships provide citizens of Solomon Islands with the opportunity to obtain a qualification at an Australian tertiary institution.
Awards are offered at the undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Applications are encouraged across a broad range of priority areas for the development of Solomon Islands. For study commencing in 2022 (applications now closed) these priority areas were:
Undergraduate and postgraduate
- Development studies including Gender Equality
- Environment including but not limited to: Disaster Risk Reduction & Adaptation; Climate Change; Climate Finance/Economics; Conservation; Waste Management; Water Management; Environment & Resource Economics
- Economic Growth including but not limited to: Economics; Supply Chain Management; Business Studies; Accounting; Information Technology; Tourism & Hospitality; Marketing & PR; Art & History Curating
- Counselling & Social Work including but not limited to child protection
- Infrastructure including but not limited to: Engineering (including biomedical, civil, water, sanitation, electrical, maritime, construction & mining); Surveying; Building & Construction; Urban Planning; Architecture; Landscape Design
- Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry & Veterinary Science
- Governance including but not limited to: Statistics; Public Sector Reform; Public Financial Management; Procurement & Contract Management
- Health including but not limited to: Health Informatics; Pharmacy; Mental Health; Epidemiology; Remote Medicine; Obstetrics; Midwifery; Paediatric Medicine/Nursing; Emergency Medicine/Nursing; Intensive Care Nursing; Public Health; Health Policy &/or Administration
- Education including but not limited to school leadership & management; TVET; training for teachers
Australia Awards applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook, available at: dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Pages/australia-awards-scholarships-policy-handbook.aspx.
All applicants MUST read the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook (January 2021) and the Australia Awards Solomon Islands Country Profile for study commencing in 2022 https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/solomon-islands-information-for-intake
English language proficiency
Awardees must achieve an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or higher (with no individual band score of less than 6.0) or an equivalent TOEFL or PTE score.
Commencement of study
All scholarships must be taken in the year for which they are awarded, however exceptions may be approved due to COVID-19 related travel restrictions.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, candidates from Solomon Islands:
- must have completed Form 6 and have an aggregate score higher than 11.
- may apply while completing Form 7 in 2021. Final Form 7 results must be submitted once received.
- must not hold an equivalent qualification or higher qualification at time of application, or commencement of award; and
- must not be serving an existing scholarship bond with Solomon Islands or any other government.
Applications for Australia Awards scholarships for study commencing in 2022 are now closed. Applications for the 2023 intake will open in early 2022.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +677 738 7322
The Australia Awards Solomon Islands program is managed by Cardno on behalf of the Australian Government.