IMPORTANT UPDATE (28 October 2020): Shortlisted applicants for 2021 Australia Awards Scholarships have now been notified. Due to the high number of applications, only successful applicants have been notified of the shortlisting outcome. Unsuccessful applicants will not be individually notified.
Scholarship opportunities through the Australia Awards are available for successful Solomon Islanders to study in Australia.
Australia Awards scholarships are prestigious international awards offered by the Australian Government to the next generation of global leaders for development. Through study and research, recipients develop the skills and knowledge to drive change and help build enduring people-to-people links with Australia.
Australia has a reputation for academic excellence and is one of the best places in the world to live while studying. Visit Study in Australia to learn more about the education opportunities Australia has to offer.
Applicants are assessed on their professional and personal qualities, academic competence and, most importantly, their potential to contribute and have a positive impact on development challenges in Solomon Islands.
In contrast to previous intakes, the 2021 intake will only offer scholarships for study in Australia. In order to maximise the number of scholarships offered for study in Australia, no Australia Awards scholarships will be offered for study in the Pacific region.
Applications from women, people with disability and other marginalised groups are strongly encouraged.
For more information on Australia Awards, please visit: www.australiaawards.gov.au
Applications are encouraged across a broad range of priority areas for the development of Solomon Islands:
• Health (postgraduate only): including Health Informatics; Pharmacy; Mental Health; Epidemiology; Remote Medicine; Obstetrics; Midwifery; Paediatric Medicine/Nursing; Emergency Medicine/Nursing; Intensive Care Nursing; Public Health; and Health Policy and/or Administration
• Education (postgraduate only): including but not limited to school leadership & management; TVET; and training for teachers
• Development studies: including Gender Equality
• Environment: including Disaster Risk Reduction and Adaptation; Climate Change; Climate Finance/Economics; Conservation; Waste Management; Water Management; and Environment and Resource Economics
• Economic Growth: including Economics; Supply Chain Management; Business Studies; Accounting; Information Technology; Tourism and Hospitality; Marketing and PR; and Art and History Curating
• Counselling & Social Work: including child protection
• Infrastructure: Engineering (including biomedical, civil, water, sanitation, electrical, maritime, biomedical, construction and mining); Surveying; Building and Construction; Urban Planning; Architecture; and Landscape Design
• Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry and Veterinary Science
• Governance: including Statistics; Public Sector Reform; Public Financial Management; Procurement; and Contract Management
Level of Study
Australia Awards scholarships provide citizens of Solomon Islands with the opportunity to obtain a qualification at an Australian tertiary institution.
Awards are offered at the undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Australia Awards applicants must meet all eligibility requirements detailed in the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook, available at: dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Pages/australia-awards-scholarships-policy-handbook.aspx.
All applicants MUST read the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook and the Solomon Islands Australia Awards 2021 intake informationdfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Pages/solomon-islands-information-for-intake.aspx.
English Language Proficiency
Applicants must have achieved an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or higher (with no individual band score of less than 6.0) or an equivalent TOEFL or PTE score. Scores must be valid at 1 January 2021.
Commencement of study
All scholarships must be taken up in the year for which they are awarded. Should an awardee not be able to commence their study by November in the year of the award, the scholarship will be cancelled. Due to the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, some flexibility may be available in the 2021 intake allowing scholars to commence in 2022.
In addition to the eligibility requirements, candidates from Solomon Islands must also note the following:
- Applicants with a Form 6 aggregate score higher than 11 may apply however they should be aware that it is very unlikely that they will be shortlisted for interview.
- Applicants with a GPA lower than 2.5 may apply however they should be aware that it is very unlikely that they will be shortlisted for interview.
- You may apply while you are completing Form 7 in 2020. However your Form 7 results must be submitted to the Australian High Commission as soon as you receive them.
- You may not apply if you are completing Form 6 in 2020.
Applications for the Solomon Islands Australia Awards 2021 intake closed on 30 June 2020.
Applicants for 2021 Australia Awards who have been shortlisted for interview have been notified via email and/or phone.
The selection process is highly competitive, with over 550 applications received for an Australia Awards Scholarship in Australia. Due to the high number of applications, only successful applicants have been notified of the shortlisting outcome. Unsuccessful applicants will not be individually notified.
Applications for the next intake will open in early 2021.